View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Mike Kendall

Mike-
I would assume these were only made for the two teams who met for the World Series. That being said, the Yankees version has an "NY" at the top and the player names are block letters, while the Cubs version has no name at the top and the player names are in script. I wonder if the players profiles were taken from a team photo, and only the first three were used? I ask this because the Cubs players are somewhat surprising. The Yankees are a nobrainer: McCarthy was the Manager, Ruth and Gehrig were legends. However, the Cubs had Grimm who was the Manager (after Rogers Hornsby was released in August), with Lon Warneke and Woody English. Warneke was their best pitcher in 1932, but this team also featured Gabby Harnett, Billy Herman, Billy Jurges and Vern Stephenson. All of these would seem to be bigger names then English. I'm guessing the artist who made these used a photo in which Warneke and English just happened to be behind Grimm. If a photo is out there, would be a great addition to this piece.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown