View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 06:03 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default My own MasterCard moment

Time spent driving to / from National Show . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 hours
Cash spent for gas, tolls, breakfast, and show admission . . . . . . $68
Maximum amount of time available for searching show . . . . . . . . 120 minutes
Finding and purchasing four obscure autographs on Want List . . . PRICELESS

My apologies for not stopping by to introduce myself to those of you set up at the show, but I was under a severe time crunch. It didn't look like I was going to make it to this year's National Show, due to having an "unavoidable, yet important" (as defined by the Mrs.) engagement to attend with her. She thought I was nuts in my decision to drive 8 hours and hand over nearly $70 in gas, tolls, and admission fee, just for the opportunity to spend a measily 2 hours looking for autographs on my want list. That thought crossed my mind too, during the four hour drive to Cleveland. Especially since my finds are frequently few and far between. It's gotten to the point where I now consider the National a "great" show if I find and purchase just one name on my want list. Fortunately, the last four National shows that I have attended have been "great". But Thursday, the National Show reached a much higher level, because today I scored big, with the purchase of four obscure ballplayer autographs on my want list. The first purchase was a partial 1931 Detroit Tigers team sheet, with separable signatures of Orlin Collier and Chas. Sullivan. I suspect that a John Grabowski signature may have once graced this sheet too, but was previously removed. Doesn't matter to me. Collier and Sullivan were the names on my want list. My next find was a signed index card of Jack Morhardt, and I followed that with the purchase of a vintage album page cut of Carl Holling.

Needless to say, the four hour drive home was better than expected, and I actually enjoyed myself at my Mrs. planned event.

I wish you all similar success with having your own MasterCard moment.