View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

It's been a week since I took a look here. I just LOVE what I see.

The Ted Williams cards with the story attached feels like what collecting is all about. Yeah, some guys make money off cardboard also, but what separates cards from gold or pork belly futures are the memories. So many of our cards tell stories, whether of the player's real or embellished feats from our youth, of the quirky way we acquired the card, or--maybe these days--the thrill of getting back a particular grade. Add a 1954 Bowman to those three Teds and you can retire from Williams collecting--what a great grouping!

The Koosman was really a beautiful card as well. Would look nice next to a 1969 Nolan Ryan. I love the color in both. And for that matter, why not throw in a 1968 Ryan/Koosman!

But what really made me happy was seeing the George Foster RC posted above. Whatever the final stat lines and Cooperstown voting were, there were no bigger giants on the diamond when I was a kid than George Foster, Steve Garvey, and Dave Parker. That none of the three made the Hall does little to diminish the memories.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/