View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goudey1933 View Post
This may be a stupid question but why is it commons are more difficult then HOF's..it seems it would be the opposite.Is it individuals "flipping" HOF's for profit thus more available as compaired to the person who buys a common most times is interested in completing a set or even a type set so they sit in a collection.

Scott
My theory on the commons is that kids from the 1910s, when they got the players in packs of candy, they were more like to keep or "take better care" of the big-name players from their time that they recognized or were likely amongst their favorite players. Guys they have never heard of were likely easier to discard, trade away or otherwise lose track of. This isn't true for all sets of course, and I don't really know if it's true for ANY set actually but I do know that it's pretty easy to get just about any HOFer you want out of the e98 set (money aside) but trying to get even a couple commons is like pulling teeth. Take a look at what Ebay is currently offering for e98s and you'll see what I mean. It's like 25 HOFers are available and 2-3 commons...