View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 08:32 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Just now noticing this thread. I very much enjoy these early scorecards and try to collect all the Detroit examples that surface. I also like the examples that advertise OJ cards and cabinets . . .

1887 Boston & New York
1888 New York & Brooklyn

The 1888 Brooklyn programs transition from merely advertising the photographs of every professional baseball player in each box of OJ Cigs (spring & early summer) to my favorite add in late summer that advertises the N173 redemption with 25 "slips" (coupons) found in boxes of OJ & GQ.

I was bidding on the REA scorecard, surprised there wasn't more competition. I was in lead until right before close and lost it. Would far rather the example found in Hunt, maybe next time. Either of these would have been my first non-Detroit scorecard but I really like the Goodwin adverts.

On a side note, GQ sold extremely well on west coast under west coast agent Mau Sadler & Co which did have their own coupon. These coupons are tough to find but are out there.

Need more clues to understand when and how the N162s were distributed. Perhaps both GQ and OJ distributed the N162s while still offering the N173 redemption in 1888. Could explain why 1888 N172s are so difficult. The theory then continues, that in 1889 Goodwin moved back to photo cards (N172s, easier to update team changes, cheaper than the color cards).
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 08-23-2020 at 08:46 AM.