View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 11:56 AM

There is only Topps producing licensed, official Major League Baseball cards, through various Topps and Bowman brands. Panini also produces cards with current and past major leaguers, under either the Panini or Donruss brands, but they are unlicensed, in that they don't show logos or team names. Both companies churn out sets of all types. I was looking at Topps's release schedule the other day and they are about to start putting out a set every week through August, on top of the four or five sets they've already put out this year.

While this can be overwhelming at times, the bright side is that there is something for everyone. Do you like retro style sets with modern players? You can get Heritage, Allen & Ginter, Gypsy Queen, or Archives. Or do you like rookies? Bowman brands and Topps Chrome are popular for autographs of current young and future stars. Do you like high-end, low-print-run products heavy on autographs, premium relics, and dubious box ROI? Tier One, Tribute, Dynasty, Triple Threads, and probably a few more are good. Do you like a simple, basic, affordable set with a checklist primarily current MLers? Base Topps, Opening Day, Heritage, Topps Chrome, A&G, or Gypsy Queen. Base Topps I believe is still the biggest selling brand by volume in the hobby, and this year I like the design and checklist. Series two is coming out in a few weeks.

Panini, while they are less popular in general, also puts out a wide range of stuff from basic Donruss to top-end National Treasures and Flawless. They have a chrome-style set called Optic, with all the refractors and such you might expect. They also are the licensee for USA Baseball, I believe, so if you like that style of ball that's where you go.

About a decade ago there still were all the brands you knew. But in 2006, IIRC, Upper Deck bought Fleer when they went bankrupt. Donruss went out in 2005, I think, but they got bought by Panini and started putting out the logoless cards in 2008. Score also folded at some point and was bought by panini. Upper Deck was still going but in 2010 MLB decided to have only one licensee, Topps. UD put out a 2010 base set, but it contained logos and team names, violating trademark and copyright. They tried a lame legal maneuver justifying it, but that didn't fly, and were immediately told to cease by a judge, and pay outstanding licensing fees, which basically crippled them and took them out of the baseball game for good. UD still owns Fleer and their designs, and puts out NHL cards, which are popular, and Marvel cards often using old Fleer basketball designs (the original basketball cards from the 90s are some of the hottest in the hobby).

Speculation is that Panini might gain a license in 2020 when Topps's exclusive is up, I think, but no one knows. And if they do, would Topps lose theirs? Or would we finally get some competition back in the hobby?