View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 07:33 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Default A new PSA experience for me

You guys have turned me into such a pessimistic grader.

Countless threads critiquing TPG grades have clearly taken a toll on me. A minor centering issue or even the slightest imperfection is now magnified and scrutinized. I have completely lost my ability to accurately grade cards.

Last month I bought a group of 1949 Bowman cards off ebay. In the group was a Jackie Robinson card that I intended to get graded. Looking at the card, I figured it would be a PSA 4 or 5 - it was extremely well centered, the registration was flawless, the front/back was clean, but the rough cut makes the corners look slightly worn. I sent it to PSA under the express service ($500-999 declared value) and declared the value at $999 (the approximate value of a PSA 4). Yesterday I received this email from PSA:

Hello Mr. Simonds,

I am writing on behalf of PSA regarding submission #XXXXXXXX (attached). This submission contains a card that does not qualify for the $50 fee due to its value. We understand that you had no way of knowing the grade; however, when the value does exceed the value limit for the fee you originally selected, we must make the proper adjustments.

Please see the attached printout of your submission with the correct fees noted in the right column.

In order to complete the process, I will need your approval to charge the correct total amount of $XXX. Please reply to this email at your convenience.

Thanks,

My first thought was "what the heck did they grade this card?" A PSA 8 NM-MT. I have never experienced a grade so different in my favor. Like I said, I have completely lost my ability to accurately assess the condition of a baseball card. I blame all of you

Last edited by jhs5120; 09-07-2018 at 07:46 AM.