View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
A question was posed a while ago (maybe just in my head!) as to if OLD cardboard will decrease in value, once older generations pass away ... and with them, the vivid memories of Cobb/Wagner/Ruth/etc. I believe this has happened in part to older toys from previous generations ... the newer generations simply don't have the same attachments to a 1960's rudimentary boxed game as those who grew up with them.

Interesting post. Hardly anyone alive today has "vivid memories" of Cobb/Wagner/Ruth/etc. So something else must account, at least in part, for the staying power of prewar cards. Many have offered valid reasons on this thread.

That said, I am fearful like others that the fate of prewar card collecting is somewhat beholden to the fate of card collecting in general. The undeniable fact is that the younger generation has not "taken up the Mantle" (pun intended) of card collecting en masse. That will be a drag on prewar to some extent. The best thing we can do is not just collect but advocate card collecting in general, and prewar card collecting in particular, in every way possible. A business is not viable without marketing; neither is a hobby.