View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 03:53 PM
Sam Lemoine

In 1987 during Spring Training, I was at a Royals game and everyone was chasing Bo Jackson for an autograph. Surprisingly, I was able to speak with George Brett and he posed for a photo for me and signed one of his new 1987 Topps cards. I just got it slabbed a few months ago. The next day I was in Miami and literally sat in a seat behind Eddie Murray at an Orioles game. He chatted with me and laughed and made jokes, but absolutely, positively would not sign an autograph for me or anyone.

I can recall getting many of these guys in Spring Training like Pedro Martinez, Andre Dawson, Gary Carter, Tim Raines, Willie Stargell, Dale Murphy (not a HOF, but he was a huge star at the time). Murray was one of the few to refuse. My dad was at a Florida State League game and came home with a Vero Beach Dodgers team set. He got one card signed - Mike Piazza. He told me that this guy was the best minor leaguer he'd ever seen and I should hang onto the autographed card. I did.