View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM

Talking So what did the '53 Stahl-Meyer Mantle go for, pawpawdiv9?

Just curious, pawpawdiv9, but you said a '53 Stahl-Meyer Mickey Mantle jumped the moon last night. Where? EBay? How much did that gorgeous card go for?

My advice to you CamaroDMD is to NOT buy anything Mickey Mantle right now. Your emotions are strong. You want to be the boy with a blunderbuss. Cool it.

Instead, romance the Mickey Mantle cards--period mainstream (cards and coins,etc. issued during Mickey's playing career, including 1969, since Topps went ahead with any already planned uses for Mantle), period regional/food, test issues, post career. LEARN as much as you can BEFORE YOU START SPENDING YOUR MONEY. LEARN what was ever made, and get a good look at pictures of those cards.

You want to buy graded. That is a good thing for any period except post career probably. Personally, I would want at least a PSA5 - SGC 60 EXCELLENT condition. There are exceptions. There always seems to be exceptions. The category of regional/food issues and Topps test issues is an exception because they tend to be more scarce and have condition sensitivity that's either off the charts or blows the roof off. Example--someone mentioned Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle. I personally believe LOW high-grade commences with PSA2 GOOD. The manner in which the card was issued for the most part is responsible for Stahl-Meyers grading so low. Collectors are really beginning to understand this, and with its dynamite photo, they want reasons to justify spending thousands for a card that typically looks like the inside of a goat's stomach. The story behind these cards is marvelous--that is one of the major draws of the regional/food issues--their story.

Buying mainstream is a great idea. You are wise to choose specimens with choice centering. Be picky. Be very picky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, know what is typical for the issue. The other aspect I believe you should strive for is a superb picture registry. Cards out of focus is a big turnoff. I do not care how important of an issue it is you buy. If the card's photo is fuzzy, in time you will hate it, and it will be tough to unload because there's a lot of collectors like me--they want that nice picture quality.

This brings us back to buying quality, at least EXCELLENT. If possible, buy something that had a problem that reduced it to excellent but is not an eyesore to you. Of course, centered cards are something the reputable card authenticators really appreciate, and they reward it accordingly.

Whatever you do, if you want Mantle, collect what you can honestly afford and which images really move you. Collector/investor Marshal Fogel made a really good point at a seminar about regarding cards as art. The picture the manufacturer chooses is crucial, as is the card design. As you are aware, there were a lot of cards made of Mickey Mantle. Many were good, some were outstanding, and a few downright stunk. Unless you wish to follow what the general consensus is for Mantle cards, decide for yourself. Sure, I could express to you the general consensus, but that I suspect you already know. I could tell you my favorite Topps and Bowmans, but what good is that?

Related to the above, many fabulous post-career cards were made of Mick. They are not worth much, but so what? Unless, of course, you rate future potential value as a major motivating factor for yourself. Remember, those post-career cards are not vintage period cards, but their photo is. A good-looking card is a good-looking card, unless you feel you are throwing your money away on worthless cards because they have no upside potential. I cannot afford what I want, so I personally went with Mickey Mantle's post career cards, but I was very choosy. Let all who wish laugh their heads off at me for saying these things. In these times, more people need a good laugh. If I make you laugh over the idea of collecting modern Mickey, I hope it lifts up your day. But, I am happy with the modern Mantles I have chosen. They have given me lots of fattening eye candy to go with what Mantles I still have from my years when I did collect period Mantle.

What exactly are your goals and why?

How important are bragging rights, impressing your fellow hobbyists, and if it is important, convincing your wife (if you are married) that what you are buying is somewhat of an investment.

Is it a hobby, or an investment? Must be both at the prices the vintage cards cost. It MUST please you and give you personal satisfaction.

I hope this was helpful, as it probably took a long time to read!

Cheers. Wish you the very best. Happy researching, and then happy hunting! ------------Brian Powell