View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 06:51 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
For this example you can only buy a graded card...

Say money isn't that big of a problem, but you love hunting for bargains. If you're looking for a particular superstar card from the 50's or 60's in a PSA 7 or 8, for instance, and his cards go for between $300-400 in the grade, how apt would you be to buy a card with an 'ST' qualifier at a decent 'savings'? Not an obnoxious stain like ink or that sort of thing, but gum or wax residue only on the front of the card that's basically see-through (and could have easily been removed before it was sent into PSA, but wasn't). In fact, you could most certainly crack it out, remove the wax and get the same (without qualifier) grade if you resubmitted it. (Chances are you're not going to do that, but you could.) Some people won't buy any cards with qualifiers, so the question isn't for you. For everyone else, if a card generally costs $300 to buy, what amount of a discount would make it worthwhile for you to purchase it with that sort of 'ST' qualifier?? (It's implied that other aspects such as centering and that old bugaboo, eye appeal, are the same on each. The only issue would be the inherently transparent gum/wax stains.) Would saving $50 work? $100? More than that? Less than that? At what point do you say, "Stain be damned, I'm in!!!"??
Good question, and not one that is easily answered, imo.

For me, it would have to be a special/must have card and the price would have to be significantly less than what they normally go for.

Depending on the usual "going for price" I'd say anywhere $50 or $100 would likely do it for me as my most expensive card purchase to date is just under $400 dollars.