View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Joe, I completely agree with you. Until your earlier post, I had always assumed that the promo items offered by Fatima Cigarettes ca. 1910 were limited to pennant-like items, e.g., leather squares embossed with an image of a school's pennant, or felt "rugs" with an illustration of same. I had no reason to think they offered full-size, sewed letter pennants. Apparently, they did...
Thanks Domer. Given the American Tobacco Company's (ATC) enormously broad and deep reach within all the colleges and universities, it would seem many would take advantage of the premium coupon offer. Seems to suggest that a very large proportion of the college sewn letter pennants that remain today, were actually distributed through the ATC.

Given the extensive amount of smoking that took place then, it would be very quick and easy for a student to amass 25 coupons.

Here's a piece on one of the typical smokers that happened at Cornell (there were many throughout the year), where 1,200 cans of tobacco and 30,000 Fatima cigarettes were donated by the American Tobacco Company - they had their hooks into all these students.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA194AAC-87C6-4E1E-BB0F-E1FD03D208AA.jpg (105.0 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpeg 60618EDB-3DF3-4C93-9AA0-92F3A3354274.jpeg (108.1 KB, 173 views)