View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 07:19 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I know this isn't an important home run, but I was at Yankee Stadium one day for a game against the Tigers and Damion Easly crushed a ball most of the way up the black seats in left center. It was one of the longest bombs I've ever seen and hit by such a relatively little guy. I went to Yankee games at the old stadium for 20 years and never saw anyone else hit a home run that deep.

Another time Manny Ramirez crushed a ball about half way up the upper deck in left field in the rain. What a bomb probably the only time I saw someone hit one into the left field upper deck at the stadium too.
I can identify with that. One night in the eighties I was at Yankee Stadium vs the White Sox. A lackluster game and the crowd is nonplussed. Hal Baines comes up to bat. The sound of the ball off the bat was incredible and the ball was really high and rising before it even left the infield area, and it was still rising when it landed in the right field upper deck, and it didn't take too much time to get there.

Another time, in 1999, I was given a pair of tickets for the Mets NLDS. My friend and I are both Yankee fans (but not Mets haters). Todd Pratt hits a walk-off in the 10th to send the Mets to NLCS. Video clips of this are deceiving because they have cheering all the way through. The crowd was indeed making a lot of noise in anticipation as the ball went out to center, and the fielder's glove went up over the wall as the ball was going over. But the crowd went completely silent for what seemed like an eternity. Nobody knew. Then the fielder opens his glove. Empty. Then the crowd erupts.