View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'd go with not trimming.

Part of the attraction to the whole page is the ads which give a nice feel for the era and how some things were viewed at the time. That's an element of things like this that I really like. Sometimes the articles are also interesting.

Hey, how many eyeglass places would adverise today with an ad showing a ball or globe covered with eyes? That's just surreal. The necktie ad is pretty cool too. Looks like the sort of tie you's see on the Old Judge cards. Either Hopelessly out of style by 1902 or back in style.

I'm guessing the paper may not fold well. Old newsprint can be brittle.

Another thing to consider would be that exposure to light does very bad things to most newsprint. Leave a new paper in a sunny spot for a month or two and see how browned the edges get compared to the bits inside. Framing may not be the best thing for the original, unless it's both deacidified and behind UV blocking glass.

So maybe a copy made from a high res scan framed and the original stored in a nice mylar sleeve out of the light?

Some Museums with a budget are doing that sort of thing with reference materials if the original is fragile and/or significant historically. A high quality copy is made as a master, then working copies are made from that. The originals are only used in special circumstances if at all.

Steve B