View Single Post
Old 12-19-2023, 10:44 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
So. Kind of a surprise, kind of not - this wound up happening at LCS #2 yesterday. I am focusing set collecting efforts more towards 1963 and away from ‘67 lately - as I realized in the end it’s a lot easier to pay $10 or $15 for no-name high numbers than it is $100 or more. You’ll notice this is well below my usual grading standard for postwar vintage. Whatever, maybe it’s getting older as a collector, maybe it’s something else, but I’m just not spending $2K or more on a PSA 5 or 6 range example. This card won’t win any beauty contests, but here’s one of life’s true facts about the Pete Rose rookie card - neither will most high grade copies! The ‘63 floating heads are among Topps’ stranger choices I guess. I don’t think the cards are downright ugly, but it’s hard to make a case the other way that they are gorgeous as well. The Rose, as has other examples of rookie cards throughout history - became iconic regardless while not necessarily being the Mona Lisa. While this is no doubt a well deserved 1 (multiple creases, corners are gone, surface crap) I think it still retains decent eye appeal for what it is. Either way - this represents a huge check mark on my list for ‘63 Topps. Of course when discussing that set, the invariable question comes around - “Do you have the Rose?” Also trying to forget at the moment the MUCH nicer copy of this card I briefly had for about the same price point circa 5 years ago. Oy…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the Rose card John! It's funny, I've owned two of these in my life, and to date, they are the only ones I've ever seen in person...such an iconic card regardless of the floating heads or condition. First time I put the set together I had an SGC 5...and it cost me $500...I then sold the set...immediately regretted it...and when I put it back together I ended up buying an SGC 4...and now looking at comps, the $900 I paid was a good deal...well, now. Love yours....COOL. The 63 set is fun to put together...lots of pesky floating head cards like the Dalkowski (SP?)...and the Stargell...Oliva...even some minor stars...just lots of cool rookie cards. Clemente in the highs is cool too...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03