View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Jack Weaver......a true Sports & non-Sports collector for 80 years

I'd like to express my appreciation to everyone here who took the time to read my tribute to Jack Weaver. And, to express my gratitude for your sincere words of respect.

I last visited Jack this past year. At age 89, his mind was still as sharp as ever. After we did several BB card trades at his house, we went to lunch at the Greek restaurant
in Yardley (PA). There we did some "talking Baseball", and as usual reminisced about the hobby.....especially regarding the good ole days at the Willow Grove Show; and,
the characters in the hobby back then.

In the course of our conversation, I asked him if he had 2nd thoughts about selling his collection. He said he had mixed feelings; however, he kept his Diamond Stars set.
Many cards, of which, were from his youth when he paid pennies for them (1934-36). Being an artist, Jack appreciated the 1930's "Art-Deco" style of these cards. And, I
did not think Jack would part with them. He was a few cards short of a 170-card** Master set, and was still working on it.

** Note....Jack and I had figured that 62 variations were needed to achieve a Master set in addition to the basic 108-card Diamond Stars set.

Thanks again, guys.

TED Z