View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Ben--that is fascinating about the proofs. That would seem to indicate the error was there from the get go and could or should have been caught before the first print runs started... no ?

Steve -- you are my printer expert ?
I am not a print expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Proofs like variations have different meaning to different people. I never got pictures of the "Proofs" because of the price. I only found out about them because seller was trying to low ball be on around 500 different only known wrong back error pairs I had.

I would guess they were blank backs with finished fronts because only the black ink is missing not the black from blue, red, and yellow printed over each other to make black. So there would be no difference in the color progressive proofs till the final black stage of printing.

Some useless info. In that era Topps sold its scrap errors and misprints directly to dealers. From my understanding this was very common in the industry. Score in my understanding was the only company not to do this at least once in a while. I know Score did not and was asked by several dealers and myself on a regular basis to do it. I had several friends that worked for Score and they were serious about scrap being destroyed.