Thread: Stephen Colbert
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Dave

All these guys pretty much worship Johnny Carson, but in the end they can't be him and they just have to do what they're good at doing.

Myself, I grew up on Letterman at 12:30 after Carson. Hated Leno, gravitated to Conan O'Brien when Letterman got neutered in the 11:30 slot, and eventually found myself drawn to the Jon Stewart / Stephen Colbert duo on Comedy Central.

Hoping Colbert doesn't find himself neutered while tackling the 11:30 network slot. I'll be honest, I know he's no longer in "character", but he seems pretty watered down far. I thought he handled Donald Trump with kid gloves last night. They were both playing a little too nicey nice with each other. Hopefully he just needs to find the right stride and settle in better.

I'm a little disappointed with The Wilmore Show that replaced Colbert on Comedy Central. Just doesn't have much pop to it. Hoping Trevor Noah fills in for Jon Stewart a little better on The Daily Show.

Todays version of Conan O'Brien along with Jimmy Kimmel, both do lots of great "bits", but I don't have the patience to sit through their entire shows. Not a fan of Fallon. I love his band, but he seems a bit too much of a try-hard, everybody please love me type of guy to me.