View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I would have to agree with Rhys on both of his points. First, I could state comfortably that the handwritten identification is in the same hand as the signed team sheet. Consider that the team sheet may have been signed on the quick or standing up so there would be minor anomalies, but the 'M' and 'y' are distinct. Secondly, it is not uncommon for people to use the third person when identifying photos. May people consider that relatives or friends may view a photo album after they have died so they use formal names. I have attached two scans. The first is on the back of a photograph I received in 1990. It was received shortly after Percy Beard, 1932 silver medalist in the 110m hurdles, had died. For the longest time I assumed it was in his wifes hand as she sent it along to me. That was until I picked up a group of index cards that included the second scan. I came to the conclusion that he had some of these presigned and his wife sent them out after he died. These are both in my Olympic signature database as his signature. I maintain a database of all Olympic signatures that pass through my hands, whether for keeping or selling.

Cheers,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beard.jpg (56.7 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg Beard, Percy (1988).jpg (35.4 KB, 241 views)