View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
OUCH!

My knees are badly arthritic and I had an issue a little over a year ago where I tore up the meniscus too.

FWIW, the surgeon I saw told me that my knee was so badly arthritic that he didn't think surgery would help because there wasn't enough of the meniscus left to work with, so he wanted to leave that as a last resort and try injections of Euflexxa instead. It is basically a lubricant that should be in a healthy knee. It worked so well in the knee that I had torn up that I had it done to my other knee as well. It really provided a lot of relief and cut way back the need for Advil to get me through the day. It is not permanent but can be repeated, which reminds me that it's probably getting time for think about getting them again.

It was covered by insurance, but even if it wasn't, the relief that I got would have been well worth the cost out of my own pocket.
Thanks for the empathy, I wish I had had your surgeon. I've looked into Euflexxa and Synvisc and am still considering them. Being uninsured and the fact that these shots need to be replenished, I've been continuing to do research. I've got heavy arthritis too, but I had the same surgery 13 years ago and was back to full workouts in about a month. Unfortunately, that surgeon retired and although I did my best to research a new surgeon, I got one that blamed me after a surgery that left me in more pain than before.
I actually envisioned my hands around the surgeon's neck after I told him I was in a lot more pain than before and his response was, "no, you had that pain before". Like, "these aren't the droids you're looking for".

His cure for his botched surgery, was more surgery, in the form of a knee replacement. I think he trimmed too much cartilage, as is evidenced in the video of the surgery. I think he also tried to remove some arthritis, which left me with bone on bone in places.
I'm still looking for a surgeon that testifies against other surgeons, to get an opinion, but most will only talk through a lawyer.