View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Robert D. Hysell

Cool Rose ,overrated ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
The "greenies" argument falls apart under cursory statistical analysis. IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL, not one single player had a second career peak after age 32. Between 1994 and 2006 something like 28 players had second career peaks after age 32. (not to mention all the players who were able to stay in MLB because of PED's where otherwise they'd have been out of the game)

That era is reflected in the power surges, the statistical anomalies and the eye test that it was bad for the game and unnatural. I think Bonds and Clemens are in because they were already HOF'ers even if they retired before their 2nd peak. The rest???? well, I'd say no. Most of em wouldn't have reached their levels of performance without them.

as far as the tired Pete Rose argument is concerned, he gambled on games, he lied about it, and has consistently shifted the truth until it was financially fortuitous for him to half ass tell it. (new books) Not to mention HE AGREED to his punishment. (and he's probably one of the top 3 or 4 most overrated players of all time due to his lack of power, late career collapse and mediocre glove)
Ok, NICK , we all know the Rose story by now ! Why do we even have a gambling rule in baseball ? Answer is, owner Charles Comiskey , cheap ass ! That"s why ! Paying other HOFers like Eddie Collins $ 15,000 in 1915 , holding out other stars ,so they would not reach there bonus ! For starting the problem & what price did he pay, he is a HOFer ? Please! P.Rose on the overrated part ,There is a white {of} ,that played in New York , you {MAY] want to put on your list { ?} Now for the Rose thing ,He holds MLB records, that may NEVER get broken !,he is the only player to be a ALL*STAR at 4 PO"S 2b,of,3b & 1b .Lack of power , so is Cobb overrated for hitting less HR's than Rose did , I think not! A mediocre glove? He has a career fielding pct .991 in the of ,top 10 all-time ? Like he is in most stat"s ? SH also,which a lot of people can not do!No body played harder?You are big vrs PED/drug users , Rose cheated the Reds,They cheated all of baseball by your arguments & I think your reaching on the Bonds/Clemens remark about HOFers before they used ,when ever that was?Robert.

Last edited by hysell; 01-02-2017 at 10:48 AM.