View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default Since you guys nailed the last one, Please help with this photo

Posted By: Keith

Hey guys,

I just picked up this photo today in an estate auction, and since you guys nailed the other Indiana U. photo to the tee, I wanted to pick your brains on this one. The photo is in a great period frame that is cloth covered, and has great oxidized back boards with square nails. I took the photo out to scan it and photograph it, and the back has a photographer stamp of JW Hubley of Lancaster PA. The photo measures about 14 x 11 inches, and is mounted on a stiff board. The players are wearing big style jerseys with LANC on the front, and sport ring bats, etc. One of my favorite parts of the photo is the great handdone? tinting to the grass in the forefront. Based on comparing the photo including the board, frame, etc, to others I've dealt with, I was thinking of the date on this one to mid 1880s, but I am not sure what to make of the catchers mask - i don't know much about the types of 19th century masks. It is difficult to see in the scan/photos but one of the players wearing a workman style glove, and the player next to him is wearing a fingerless glove. If my dating is correct, there are 3 teams this photo could be, and I am hoping the Lancaster historical society could help me narrow it down. It could be the Lancaster Lancasters who played in the Keystone Association in 1884, Lancaster Ironsides who played in the
Eastern League in 1884, or the Lancasters again who played in the Eastern League in 1885. Any thoughts to my dating of this photo?