View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Kev1n @1les

In 1981 or 1982 I bought the baseball address book. Believe it or not, it had the home address of every living ball player. It even had a section in the back that had amended addresses of those who recently moved.

I sent out letters to probably 100 players. Rod Carew and George Brett were my favorites at the time. I would write letters telling them how much I liked them and even sent my school picture. I was 9 or 10 and pretty pathetic.

I received 2 packages in return. One was from Stan Musial. It was a postcard that had a shot of him kneeling with an autograph that said "To Kevin, Best Wishes, Stan Musial".

Then a few weeks later, I got an 8x10 envelope from Henry Aaron. In it, it contained an autographed 8x10, a blank business card sized piece that had his autograph and a modern Babe Ruth card that was two connected together that he had signed in between.

Unfortunately, when I sold my collection after I went to college, I sold those autographs with it. I wish I would have kept them. Now, I have a signed Mays/Aaron picture (signed by both), a signed baseball, and the Steiner SI cover picture of 715 that he signed as well. He will always be my favorite player of all-time as he took the time to send that stuff back to a 9 year old kid.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set