View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Phil Garry

Thanks for the info, John. So a Spalding card of Grange does exist but it was not part of the issued set but instead, a "promo" card of sorts. That probably explains why I was unaware of it. Even though it might only miss out on being Grange's earliest card by a few months, I think the "promo" card status prevents it from being classified as a rookie card anyway.

I have never seen a W590 Grange, does anyone have a scan that they can share? On the baseball side, the W590 Gehrig is always a popular debate as to whether that card should be considered as a rookie in addition to the '25 Exhibit of Gehrig. Range of years for this set goes all the way out to 1931 so very tough to say...........

I don't really consider any of the Shotwell cards to be classified as rookie cards either as they were part of their own set and only included Grange.

For me, the 1928 Anonymous card of Grange might "fit the bill" as a Grange rookie card better than any others, unless the W590 can somehow be pinpointed to 1925-27.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 08-28-2015 at 07:30 PM.