View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Dan Mabey

Default 1962P Canadian Distribution & Scarcity

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the kind remarks and inquiries. With regard to cereal variety and the number of cards assigned to each panel, I am simply going to paste a table from the table appearing in NORTHERN EXPOSURE. Hopefully, the MSWord table electrons are compatible with the architecture of this wonderful forum. Here goes ...

TABLE A
CEREAL PACKAGE POPULARITY AND CARD ALLOCATION

KEY TO ABBREVIATIONS
POP = Popularity; SIZE = Ounces; CPB = Cards Per Box Panel;
NBR DIFF = Total Cards Per Variety; SPs = Single Prints;
MPs = Multiple Prints

POP CEREAL VARIETY SIZE CPB NBR DIFF SPs MPs
1 Sugar Crisp - 6 48 38 10
2 Alpha-Bits 10 7 42 36 6
3 Alpha-Bits 7 5 15 12 3
4 Bran Flakes 14 7 28 24 4
5 Grape-Nuts Flakes 12 7 28 24 4
6 Oat Flakes 9 5 15 12 3
7 Grape-Nuts - 4 16 12 4
8 Bran Flakes 8 5 15 12 3
9 Grape-Nuts Flakes 7 5 15 12 3

Okay, the data is all there -- although the formatting is a little skewed. However, now you can see the card allocation construct used in the promotion.

In addressing the issue of the relative scarcity of the 3 Mantle cards, I am going to take the lazy way out and, once again, just paste a paragraph out of the book. Hitting you with the "bottom line" first, the easiest Mantle is the familiar cut-along-blue-lines gray cardboard Bran Flakes 14 oz. Next is the perforated Sugar Crisp insert panel, remembering the consumer couldn't actually see which panel he got until opening the box. The toughest is the heavy white cardboard Grape Nuts version, based on the overall undesirability (to kids) of the nuggets. Here are my explanatory notes from the book:

Although individual hobbyists may argue about the precise order of cereal popularity, most serious Post collectors would agree that the 48 single print cards printed on the back of Oat Flakes, Grape-Nuts, Bran Flakes (8 oz.), and Grape-Nuts Flakes (7 oz.) are the most challenging to acquire. However, even within each of the cited four cereal varieties and sizes, the degree of scarcity seems to accompany the caliber of the multiple print star and his availability on more popular variety and size cereals. Using the Roger Maris scenario discussed in Section 4, the Grape-Nuts version of his card was undoubtedly purchased the least of the three opportunities. This trend likely accounts for the extreme difficulty in locating panel mates Ed Bouchee, Smoky Burgess, and Carl Warwick. Mickey Mantle also provides a parallel example of this phenomena, wherein the Grape-Nuts version of his card was frequently left gathering dust on grocer’s shelves. Bran Flakes (14 oz) commanded high consumer popularity, and even the hidden perforated panel slipped into Sugar Crisp would not deter young kids from prodding their mothers to acquire the brown sugar coated puffs. This trend likely accounts for the relative scarcity of “The Mick’s” Grape-Nuts panel cohorts, Lenny Green, Don Schwall, and Luis Aparicio. Each of these cards are tough to locate, let alone in excellent or better condition.

Finally, my thoughts about professionally grading uncut panels and cards... I am VERY old school, having been a baseball card enthusiast for over 50 years. As a complete set collector (1951-1969, Bowman, Topps, Post, JELL-O, food issues, etc.) and archivist (advertisements, in-store promotions, original copy art, wrappers, original card artist/graphic renderings), I have no interest in slabbed cards or sheets. HOWEVER, my perspective is that if having professionally graded cards and uncut sheets enhances your hobby enjoyment, go for it! In my case, the only 2 slabbed cards I have ever purchased were the 1963 Fleer checklist and 1952T J. Robinson -- purchased on eBay to complete sets. Within hours of receipt, I busted them out of their plastic coffins, and gave them room to breathe with the rest of their buddies in museum quality 9 and 8 pocket sheets. I have seen some professionally graded Post and JELL-O cards that defy understanding, including some (of which I kept images) that couldn't differentiate between 1963 Post and 1963 JELL-O cards. So, if you wish to expend the money to have your Post cereal cards and panels graded and slabbed, I wish you well and enjoyment.

I hope I've answered your questions. If you are interested in acquiring the updated opus on the 1962P Canadian baseball card set, please send a note to me at my e-mail address. As Paul and many others know, I have the book printed at Staples on an "as ordered" basis. My days of underwriting the expense for a moderate-sized run of bound monographs are far past me, so the per unit cost ($40) plus USPS priority shipping ($5) is expensive. Folks need to remember that the books are labors of love completely researched, written, and developed (with color photos) at home. They are written by a collector for collectors, who have a passionate desire to comprehensively delve into the Post cereal promotions.

I hope this helps for those inquiring about the nuances and idiosyncrasies of this incredible set!