View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

I guess the "comma" mark on the border doesn't mean anything then? Some cards may have it while others don't but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a 1st print or DP?
That mark being on all of one variety depends on what caused it.

If it's from damage to the plate it won't be on all of that version, and some of us would consider it a different variety.
If it was from a scratch or gap on the mask used to make the black plate, then yes it will be in the same spot on all cards of the same variety depending on centering. It would also be on whatever card was below that one on the sheet, but in the top border, and only seen on cards centered towards the bottom.

Ist print wouldn't apply here, unless you find some way to show that the 52 High numbers were printed in two different runs. The doubleprints were on the same sheet as each other, it's just that there were two of each on the sheet and only one each of all the other cards. (If the mark in the border is plate damage then 1st print might sort of be right for ones without it. it would be more correct to say early state of the plate, as opposed to the damaged late state of the plate. A further complication would be the high numbers being printed from 2 or more different sets of plates, but I've never seen anything that would make me think it was.

Steve B