View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 02:43 PM

On the 1911 Zeenuts, I think there is a reason for the more reasonable prices on Lindsay, Heitmuller, Halla, Bernard, Smith SF, Arlett and others in the auction that are very tough. When 19th Century had their huge PCL blowout a few years ago, there were 4 collectors actively competing for many of the cards, driving prices up. I know there were others bidding, but the 4 guys were all trying to complete the set and all had a ways to go. I am sure there might be others but I know these other 3 guys and they were going to battle for the cards.
Now spring forward 2 years and one of the collectors is no longer pursuing the set and the other 3 set completist guys are all within a handful of cards of completing the set so the prices weren't as strong overall as they were then.
I remember when Larry Fritsch first started selling the 1911 Zeenuts about 5 years ago at $35-40 each for EX and EXMT cards, suddenly cards which had been collecting dust for many years started flying off the shelves and Fritsch put a moratorium on sales until prices were readjusted. I even had to talk to Larry personally on the phone in order to buy 10-12 cards I wanted as he wanted to make sure I was a collector and not looking to flip them. True story. (Glad I had a chance to talk to him before he passed away, we talked about the hobby and many other things. Really nice guy).
Now if Bohen or Fullerton appears, you might be looking at record bids. (Right Steve and Peter?)