View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 AM
Howard Chasser

Default My Humble Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
It was m pleasure because I love VZ cards. If I weren't so determined to collect all the Braves base cards I'd be collecting VZ cards in a second. I really do find them grossly under priced in certain ways, but do you think the demand will continue to increase enough for any of us to go out and snipe cheapies with the idea of selling later when the market increases? Or should we all just stick to collecting our special projects and let them float on? Been curious about that.
Like many echoed sentiments here on the board - first and foremost I collect what I like. I have always loved the thrill of the hunt - Venezuelan cards have made for much more challenging "prey". I expect I will make a profit when the cards I own are sold. Regarding marketplace value - it would be taking a guess about the supply and demand equation - I feel relatively confident speculating that the supply side will not appreciably increase. Are there some left to discover - likely some, but not many - even if the population doubled - these are some rare cards. The demand side is the big question mark - will more people start looking for these rare Topps South American counterparts? I am surprised that the "completest" types have chosen not to define these as part of a complete Topps run - understandably from the perspective that it is unlikely any more than possibly 1 of them might complete a run. I only know of 2 collectors who have said they have a complete or near complete run of Venezuelan cards from 1959-1968 - they have been collecting Venezuelans for decades! Do more people learn about, get interested in and start pursuing these cards? That's the million dollar question! It wouldn't take many to start driving prices to the sky. The cards so far have been most popular with Team and player collectors. We'll see what the future holds.