View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 12:13 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The copyright date reflects the year the item was submitted to the Library of Congress, not the date of commercial issue of the set. I can copyright a book today and not offer it for sale until next year.

Beware of errors of inductive reasoning: Reference to an event on a card indicates only that the copy on the card was drafted no earlier than the day after that event, not that it was issued on a specific date after that. For example, referring to a December 8, 1948 trade on a card means that the card bio was written some time after 12/8/48. Saying it was issued in 1949 is an assumption based on the likely date of issue given that bio; not saying it is wrong, just that it is not direct evidence. What if Leaf rolled out the set for Christmas? It would be a 1948 issue.
Thanks for the copyright explanation, Adam, so it could certainly be argued that if the copyright date is what is being used to call this a 1948 issue it could be flawed?

Assuming there is no card back that references a New Year's Eve party, a referenced trade that took place on Dec 14th I don't think would in all likelihood give Leaf enough time to print, pack and truck product to the be on the shelves for Christmas. With 11 days until Christmas how many days in advance of Christmas would a company want to get their product on the shelves in front of consumers? Baseball season was long over and football was in mid stride. I guess anything is possible for a company who employed skip numbers on their set but issuing baseball cards in the dead of winter seems like financial suicide.

Chase