Thread: August Pickups
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Very nice p/u.....While being issued by Coca Cola in conjunction with Dexter Press, I have only ever heard cards from this set referred to as "Dexter Press" cards.
Thanks, guys, for all the well wishes. Cardboard cloud nine! The eBay vendor assessed Hank as Near Mint, and I think he was acceptably close, perhaps EX-MT, though he might be right. Regardless, with these, if you can find a raw card with just a bit of corner wear, the price you pay will be minuscule for such a gem, as it was for me. Same goes for buying gum cards, as we all well know.

Savedfrommyspokes, you are absolutely correct in having always known them as "Dexter Press". While not totally balderdash, since on the backside of the cards, the ONLY source reference is Dexter Press. Be that as it may, Dexter Press merely printed the cards for the Coca-Cola Company. Dexter did not issue the cards at all, but the hobby got it wrong in subsequently referring to the issue as "Dexter Press". This card was strictly part of the massive 1967 Coca-Cola promotion that went on in most major league cities during 1967. Dexter was contracted to make twelve-card premium photo sets for each team that participated, on nice quality photographic card stock. Truly a regional, I could never have gotten Mr. Aaron in my Chicago suburb.

Anyway, I covered these cards in chapter 7 of my recently released book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, entitled, "Things Really Did Go Better With Coca-Cola". PSA began grading them some time in the last 10 years. They look spectacular in the large holder they use for this issue. Ditto for the job SGC does with them. Magnificent over-sized cards.

Thanks again for the congrats. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-08-2017 at 12:10 PM.