View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 04:59 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
KISS has made so many great songs. I have been listening to them since 1977 and many songs I would guess I have heard 1000 times and they never get old. KISS is the Babe Ruth of the R&R HOF.
I don't knock anyone's taste in music and am glad you truly enjoy KISS music and songs. But a lot of people/groups over the years wrote and performed a multitude of songs that people enjoy and like. So there's nothing overly special about having done that that automatically should gain them entrance to the rock hall. But a lot of these performers write and perform their music simply to appease the likes of the masses at that time and don't really do anything different or innovative to advance or expand their musical talents and abilities, or that of the music profession itself. They simply figure out the current formula of what sells, what gimmick gets people to buy tickets to see them, and then they exploit that to the Nth degree. That in my opinion is the type of group KISS is. I never said I don't also like some of their music, just that it isn't anything really special, innovative, new, mind-blowing, whatever you want to call it. They got the formula down to create songs people liked and came up with the additional hook surrounding their makeup and costumes, and then exploited that till, well they still are to this day.

In retrospect, look at groups like the Beatles. Their early albums had a very definite, clean sound. But they weren't happy just performing the same simple songs over and over and took chances and experimented and delved into new sounds and techniques that frankly helped change the face of rock music forever. KISS music has always followed the same pattern and sounded pretty much the same. They just keep following the formula of what sells for them, which is great. Not knocking consistency, just pointing out how they never really took any chances and changed how they were to expand their own musical abilities and horizons, and how they haven't really influenced anyone else either. They just were popular enough to sell a lot of records, but I don't see anything overly special in them to distinguish them enough from a lot of other groups/performers to be in the hall, besides having sold a lot of records and having a very loyal and dedicated core base of fans that like their music and sound.

Now you have lots of other groups that also tried to jump on the bandwagon of just doing what was popular to keep selling records. Look back at some of the performers who experimented with doing disco type songs when that craze was popular for a period of time. You going to tell me that those groups that suddenly changed their style to create s few disco sounding songs weren't doing it just for the sales and money?

By the way, KISS is not the Babe Ruth of rock and roll. I wouldn't even make them any higher than maybe the bat boy on that team. And I have listened to them over the years and seen them perform live, they aren't deserving of that title. But if to your musical likes and taste the rate that, then good for you, I;'m glad you like them and can enjoy them that much.

By the way, as such a big fan, have you been on one of KISS' sponsored cruises ever?