View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
I don't mean to be pedantic here but the wording Legendary used suggested that the issuer produced the cards prior to actually signing a contract and then after they could not consummate an appropriate contract, halted production, thus the rarity.
I didn't take it as pedantic and wouldn't care if you were. I somewhat agree with your explanation, although I took the auction description to mean not that they had halted production, but that they completed production and had to delay release pending a signed contract. I say this because I was not aware that the Mantle photo was conspicuously scarcer than the others--I thought they were all scarce "test" issues with only the Cousy, Kramer and Hogan (plus maybe Rizzuto) being tougher. I stand corrected if that's not the case.

Anyway, I wasn't very clear in my last post when I said they may have been issued in 1952. Since we know the Mantle could not have been even printed until October of that year at the very earliest and given the time/process of obtaining rights, etc. it was likely later, it would seem that these premiums could have been issued over multiple years, commencing in either 1951 or, more likely, IMO, beginning in 1952 and stretching into at least 1953.

I am by no means an expert on Wheaties; indeed I don't even collect them except I have four of the 6 unfolded mini-boxes from '51 and 2-3 of the cut cards from 1952. I would hope those who do collect or who are old enough to remember can help here. Seems convenient that the cards were issued in 12 series (or were there more?)--that would line up to a new series being issued each month during 1952. Maybe one premium was associated with each series, as there appear to have been 12 such premiums if you include the Hogan, Kramer and Cousy. Maybe the premiums were to be a redemption promotion that got scrapped. I do not know what evidence there is that these were ever a true "test" issue as is often acclaimed. I have far more questions than answers, but wanted to throw out some ideas.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.