View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 10:42 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I figured out my COA system, but haven't settled on pricing and it might change as the show goes by. I did authenticated photograph auction for auction house, but that was something like 800 lots (including large group lots), no certificates, writing the lot descriptions and was essentially paid by the hour. Hard to figure per photo, as each photo takes a different amount of time, and I neither want to price too high or too low. I rarely do evaluations through the mail, because I don't want be responsible for the items, hate packaging and paperwork. I've done LOAs once in a while via mail if asked, but have never more than that. Never appealed to me and, as I said, I don't like to do things through mail or do paperwork. I thought the in-person, on-the-spot situation of the National would be the best place to try it out. If I like it and people want my services, great. If it doesn't work out, that's okay because the National is also my summer vacation.

But, as I said, general advice or a quick opinion is free of charge. You only have to pay for the piece of paper, if you want my opinion in writing.

I originally wasn't going to issue any certificates, but Scott said collectors would want something on paper. So I made little certificates to write down my opinion on, and got a personalized embosser. The certificates of my opinion are far from fancy, but I plan on photographing everything I write an opinion on for later verification via my website if needed.

Lastly, I give my opinion and not an guaranteer or insurance company. Though if I can't come up with a good opinion on an item, I wouldn't write give a certificate for it. And if something is fake or not worth value-wise of a certificate, the opinion would fall under the 'free advice' section. I'm not an appriser and don't predict resale values, but wouldn't charge $10 for a written opinion on a $2 photo.

Also, I'm not an FBI facial recognition expert and won't do research on the identities of all the members of a team. You'd have to pay me by the hour for the latter, and I'm sure there are many resident Net54 baseball historians who could do a better job than me at baseball history research. I'm a physical photograph historian and can tell you on the spot if the photo is original, reprint, really from the 1800s or made later, etc. I will have my scientific equipment with me.

I thought perhaps I should just have a tip jar and not have to worry about pricing

Hey, now that I write it, maybe I will have a tip jar. Advice and non-written opinions are free, but you can tip if you want and if you think the advise was worth it.

My funny tip story is I volunteer at a local non-profit art gallery and was working at the concessions stand for an art reception where they served wine, soft drinks, cookies and such. For whatever reason there was an empty glass flower vase left on the stand and a guy put in $5 as a tip. I told him that wasn't a tip jar, it was just an empty flower pot and I was just a volunteer who didn't accept any payment including tips. It was crowded with art/society types and he was obviously worried about being seen taking money out of the jar, but I assured him he could it back. He still hesitated, but finally reached in and took it out.

This time I'll have a tip jar and see what happens.

Last edited by drcy; 07-25-2014 at 11:22 AM.