Thread: Pwcc
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
There is a lot more to the world than 1950's-60's RC's. Er, um, uh, how about pre-war? The current RC craze now makes pre-war look more value minded than ever before. I was never into RC's, and now double no. Putting my $ into top tier pre-war HOFers in mid grade and higher, I have no regrets.
The '50's and '60's are simply the focus of the hobby right now, just as they were in the late '80's to the early to mid '90's. Pre-WWI held that status until the last few years, and it will shift over time with cards, just as it has with coins and collectible cars. IMHO, the big values for key rookie HOF'ers from the '50's and '60's will be cyclical, as there are too many for linear growth and appreciation--about 200 PSA '54 Aarons in "8" or better, for example. $55,000 for one may still have some room for appreciation, but it will eventually cycle downwards, although remaining above where it was at when this last focus upon that era began. As the eminent author-dealer-collector Q. David Bowers said with regard to coins, what was in focus or favor during one decade seldom held that status in the next.

Personally, for the long run, I'd rather have my money in items far more rare and at least as significant, such as the 1907 Dietsche Fielding Pose Cobb rookie, 1907 Wolverine News Cobb Portrait (a very rare piece, and the photo simply captures the true essence of the man), 1939 V351 Ted Williams rookie, or even the 1929 Leader Novelty Ott rookie I obtained from Leon's Heritage auction last year. If such items follow the trend of coins or cars of analogous status, you'll see much more linear appreciation for them.

Once more, may your collecting bring you joy above all else,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-03-2016 at 04:05 PM.