Thread: Kurt cobain ot
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
If you have a Cobain on something like a signed album with a ticket stub from the event and you with a polaroid of him and it all checks out, or say a legal document, or an item like a yearbook or something, be prepared to go north of $2000 and if the item is a premium piece, it would be more.

Now we are talking bands from my generation for a change (I do like Dylan though). Layne Staley from Alice in Chains is another Seattle guy whose autograph is VERY rare. He essentially disappeared from the public about the same time Kurt's death despite living for another 8 years in a Seattle apartment. All these guys autographs are so forged it is unbelievable but from that era, Cobain takes the cake as the most forged BY FAR because essentially every 30-40 year old man in America would love to have one so SOMEBODY'S gotta create the supply right!

By their nature, Rock Stars are not as available to the public unless you have backstage passes etc. They are rushed from bus - to dressing room - to the stage - and back on the bus. Bands like Nirvana HATED the commercial aspect of all this by the time they were big enough to have autograph seekers give a crap so the numbers of autographs that they actually signed during their short 3-4 years of popularity are probably MUCH smaller than we as Sports Collectors can imagine. As such I would say to stay away from all modern Rock Superstars unless there is some iron-clad provenance.

Rhys

FYI, Here is a real one with a pretty accurate (possibly even low) price with a full name. I'd have felt comfortable with this one.

http://jan12.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=41424
I would love to have a Layne Staley. AIC (with Staley) are one of my favorite bands of all time. He was a tremendous singer and writer. His is a sad tale.

Jim