View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 03:23 PM

QUOTE OF AUSTINMIKE FROM 12/14/2016 / POST #486:
Hey Brian, sorry to take so long to respond.

I agree with you, it is amazing that something that was once a free prize is now so cherished. But, I suppose because they were free and basically "worthless" at the time, many did not survive. Which makes them so cherished today. The fact that it is a beautiful card simply enhances its allure.

When I opened the package and saw the card for the first time, my initial reaction was surprise. I should have known better, but for some reason I expected it to be the size of today's cards. I should have figured it would be the size of '52 Topps, but I didn't. So the size was very surprising. Then the colors really grabbed me. Around then I noticed that it is the same picture of Mick used in several Yankee photo packs, but the one on the card, because it is colorized, really stands out. It's kind of hard to describe what it's like to be holding something so cherished and something that you never thought you would ever own. Although, I must admit, not near as thrilling as holding my kids for the first time.

As far as sharing my joy here, where else am I going to share it? Just about everyone I know would think I'm crazy for spending that much money for a card that was once a free prize. A big thank-you to Leon and everyone here for letting me share my joy here.[/QUOTE]

Hey AustinMike! Sorry it took me so long to response to your wonderful re-telling of seeing your beautiful 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks for the first time. I relished your reflections on the card. I would have loved to have quoted you for the book. Your well-expressed thoughts are just the sort of colorful thing I tried to add to NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN.

Anyways, I'm glad you love your Stahl-Meyer. From the sound of things, you were in the middle of a decent dog fight for the card. I know you really didn't want to go that high, but as you reflect upon the circumstances that won you this key Mantle piece, it's no doubt reassuring you obviously were among a small group all trying hard to win it.

Merry Christmas! ----Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-23-2016 at 03:26 PM.