View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 10:57 AM

Congratulations, Dave. That's one very important pick-up. At least the stains are barely noticeable, which are so prevalent with the Stahl-Meyer Franks package cards.

I've got a fascinating story. A couple years ago, I vividly remember a buddy telling me about his '53 Stahl-Meyer. The original owner, a young boy no doubt, actually filled out his name and address on the backside of the '53, ostensibly to enter Stahl-Meyers' contest. However, as some of us know, to enter the contest would require giving up his free prize Mantle card, plus another card. Seems to me the youngster thought better of the idea, or wasn't able to get another Stahl-Meyer baseball card, BUT STILL decided to hang on to his Mickey Mantle. Maybe it was smashed to smithereens while entombed inside the package, or more probable, was also given lots of admiration handling for a few years. Be that as it may, the kid didn't throw his Mantle away! With that mesmerizing portrait, who could blame the boy? The addition of the kid's name and address adds special period charm to that '53, and helps make it a terrific conversation piece.

Thanks again Dave for sharing your good fortune.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-18-2017 at 05:50 PM.