View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Default Landed a white whale

I once told my friend that the card below was the baseball card I wanted most for any of my projects. He responded with a couple of tough Yaz cards. I said fine, the most of any non-Yaz baseball card. 4 HOFers on one card. Mays and the Hammer. 1964 Venz, a set I collect. I thought I would never afford one, especially in better-than-poor condition. And then this happened:

Seriously a hobby high!

This card came as part of a lot of 9 which was loaded with stars: 3 more HOFers, a couple of MVPs, numerous all stars, and a Red Sox common to top it off. Of the 9, I decided to keep 8 and sub 7 to PSA for my Venz registries. Here are the others I deemed sub-worthy:

Venz version of the 2nd year card and first solo Topps card of the HOFer later known as "Pops." I love this card, despite the tape stains.

Boyer was an MVP and, as we know, Bunning is in the HOF. Pascual was no slouch either

Pinson was another All Star. Geiger wasn't, but he was a member of my beloved Sox.

Weird to see Eddie Money in a Tigers uni, but he's still a HOFer (on the cheap). Pairs nicely with the 64 Venz Mathews I recently picked up.

The last 2 cards in the lot were 64's: a WS Game 4 (feat. Frank Howard) and a Clay Dalrymple. I'll keep the Howard, but it has a torn corner, so I don't want it in my registry. The Dalrymple will go on eBay unless somebody here wants to buy/trade.