View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Billy Meredith Rookies

For those of you who did not read through the Top Soccer cards thread, I promised to post some Billy Meredith cards. He was one of the first superstars. You can read more about him at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Meredith

With the cards. I consider his rookie card to be the 1901 "Meredith at Work" card. But the first time that you can see his face is on the 1902 Clarke & Son and WE & HO Will's cards. Those have both "regular" versions and some that were printed in violet for whatever reason The "violet" versions appear much less frequently. While all these cards are amazing, I believe that the three preferred Meredith cards are the 1907 Taddy, 1910 Cope's Clips (Blue cards), and the Cope's Solace card. So these are certainly the most valuable in the UK (which should know something about rarity and desirability). I think that they are most desired because of the scarcity of the issues themselves and aesthetics. So I would have have a problem putting any Meredith rookie on my Mt. Rushmore of soccer cards. When discussing UK cards, I would likely give preference to the Dixie Dean rookie or the George Best rookie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Billy Meredith_0001.jpg (76.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Billy Meredith_0002.jpg (76.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Billy Meredith_0003.jpg (77.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Billy Meredith_0004.jpg (75.3 KB, 110 views)