View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 01:37 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
I do not sell a heck of a lot but I have used the sales reports and they have always been spot on. I have never used paypal's sales reports so not sure if they show the gross sale as well as the net proceeds (after merchant fees) but ebay's have been great for me when I have sold stuff.

I use the Seller Hub. I got to my ebay and do the following: Choose the Selling tab, then choose Orders, then choose All Orders. There you can use the drop down menus for Category of Sale (Store, Auction or All), the Status of the sale and finally the Period of time which you want to get data. This can be downloaded and opened in Excel.

Again, what is missing is the net proceeds from the sale because ebay does not track paypal fees. Not sure if once they manage payments if their reports will also include the deduction for the merchant fees which would then reconcile to the deposits which are made to your bank account.
Those reports are great and I unofficially use them regularly, but they do not always reflect the actual changing hands of money. In this report I have had orders (all items paid for together) show up with each item separate on this report causing the income at the bottom to be inaccurately shown. For accounting purposes, I need consistent accuracy which over the last 10+ years, has NOT been provided by this ebay report. In comparing my Aug 2018 PP reporting to the ebay reporting there was a variance of $350 more on ebay (due to glitch mentioned above). Using the ebay reporting could inflate my income by several K a year.

From paypal, each month I print out a "simple" one page day-by-day sales report which accurately shows the money actually changing hands (and matches my 1099), unlike the ebay reporting. This one page report is easier to maintain in case of an audit years down the road than an inaccurate CSV file from ebay which contains each order versus a simple monthly summary.

In addition, these ebay reports (orders) are available for only 90 or so days.
Paypal's reporting is currently available for up to 2 years on the site. While some audits are within a year, others are not, the ebay reporting does not help to verify the information I accumulate monthly through out the year.

In reference to ebay deducting fees from the income at the time of the deposit, the way I read the offer is that the 2.7% fee will be charged to my monthly ebay invoice and not deducted when deposited into my checking account.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 09-26-2018 at 02:06 PM.