View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

First, my apologies for constantly stirring up shite last Fall, regarding autographs. I really was looking for answers to questions, as I've been contemplating buying some pre-war player autographs for some time now, and I basically don't trust most of what I'm seeing.

I finally pulled the trigger recently on a signed Cobb letter. I felt certain it was real, it looked nice, it had a nice signature, it involved baseball, and he came across as pleasant. After deciding I like the item, my criteria for buying an autograph were/are: 1) would a forger have forged this particular item? 2) does the item and signature look authentic? 3) do I plan to keep it as part of my 'permanent' collection? The letter passed the test, so I bought it - in fact, I bid $600 more than it sold for. If I had to pay my ceiling bid, I wouldn't have been concerned. So I'm happy.

Having said all that, I'm still curious what 1-page green, baseball content, nice signature Cobb letters are generally valued at.

I'm dying to ask questions about that '27 Yankee ball forgery, but don't want to risk more animosity. I might do it anyway.