View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 08:42 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default 20Ks in 9 Innings:

Yesterday, the Chicago White Sox tied a Major League record by recording 20 strikeouts in a 9-Inning game...and so did the Detroit Tigers...but the Tigers were the swingers. For Detroit, it took only 29 ABs. They struck out at least twice in all nine innings; two players were 0-4 with 4 Ks.

The esteemed Elias Sports reported on ESPN.com, that this was the seventh such occurance...interestingly, the Tigers have been the victims on three of those occasions: 1996 (Clemens) & 2016 (Scherzer)

However, in researching those games, I was unable to find the occurrence dated 9/18/12 in which the Angels supposedly beat the Mariners. My search of box scores for that day reveal that the Angels played the Rangers and the Mariners played the Orioles.

While I did not search further, this does prove that even Elias is not a perfect source of information.

With the exception of this 'miss-reported 2012 game', the first five occurrences involved the starting pitcher completing the game:
1986 & 1996 (Clemens); 1998 (Kerry Wood) & 2016 (Scherzer).

The 2017 game in which the Red Sox beat the Rangers involved Drew Pomeranz going 6 innings with 11K ; ()Hembree 2/3 - 2K; R.Scott 1/3 - K; Matt Barnes 1 Inning- 2K & CURRENT FREE AGENT CRAIG KIMBREL tying another record by recording 4 strikeouts in the final inning.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-29-2019 at 08:44 AM.