View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Scott, Man that's a lot of great photos...I just read up on Babe Didrikson...what an athlete...she sounds more profund than Jim Thorpe!...I've never seen that one of Red Grange...and the Tunney photo is classic. But some I don't recognize...how about putting the names under the photos? Especially the pool players...been getting interested in billiards/pool lately...re the coffee table...no worries on a spill...in word only....not a not a stitch of room to sit down a drink so don't have to worry about that ever happening LOL
Thanks - I have a bunch more, mostly too large to fit on the scanner. I have two more of Hoppe (I sort of collect them), and also a very interesting '20s shot of Japanese women playing pool. I'll probably add a photo page to my Billiards website, now that I have a larger grouping.

Didrikson was from my home town (Port Arthur, Texas), so everyone knew all about her. Basically, she was the female Jim Thorpe. There was a NY Times reporter who was, I believe, writing a book about her. He contacted me about various pieces, which I sold him, including her putter which I later found a picture of her using - boy, that would have jacked up the price!
  • Ruth and wife - 1939
  • Stengel - 1935
  • Dizzy Dean - 1937
  • Durocher, Dascoli and Goetz, Tookie Gilbert (player) - 1950
  • Grange - Oct 26, 1928 Caption: "Harold Grange, football star, given time to investigate girl's charge."
  • Tunney - dated 1926. I have a larger version of this one that is one print newer and CGC-slabbed (whatever that means )
  • Didrikson - 1947
  • Hoppe, Hoppe - 1909, 1929
  • Gordon Chung-Hoon - 1929

Last edited by Runscott; 11-22-2011 at 02:07 PM.