View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 02:38 AM
Bill Gregory

Kirk Gibson's homer for the Dodgers in the '88 World Series. I saw it live on the tv. He could barely walk up to the plate, but somehow he had just enough strength to golf the ball into the right field seats.

I saw Robin Yount hit #200 in person. He and Clemente have long been my favorite players, so seeing one of Robin's milestones was pretty special. He had one of the sweetest swings I've ever seen, and if he hadn't messed up his shoulder in 1983, he'd have ended up with a lot more than 251 homers in his career.

I was at County Stadium and saw Dale Sveum hit 3 home runs in one game on July 17, 1987. And he missed a 4th home run by about 5 feet on a bomb that was just foul down the right field line. I saw that game with both my folks, and my dad and I went nuts when we thought he'd hit #4.

I watched the game on September 25, 2001 when Jeromy Burnitz and Richie Sexson both hit 3 home runs for the Brewers. The Brewers stunk in 2001, but they were a lot of fun to watch, anyways. They hit 209 home runs, but only won 68 games. Burnitz and Sexson combined to hit 79 between them. And they hit some absolute tape measure shots, especially Sexson. It killed me when the Brewers traded him. He played three seasons in Milwaukee, hitting .274 with 119 home runs and 351 RBI in his three seasons there. Between 1999 and 2006, if you take out the 2004 season, when he only played 23 games due to two dislocated shoulder injuries, he hit 253 home runs in 7 seasons, or 26 home runs a season. And he was on a tear in 2004 when he got hurt. He'd only played in 23 games, and had 9 home runs. Sexson was 6'6" 205 pounds, and he had some of the sickest bat speed I've ever seen. The guy was a monster.

Sexson hits #200 off the scoreboard in Arizona

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.