View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrfan1 View Post
brian,

Can you post an image of your Stahl-Meyer Franks mantle? Would it be safe to say that, even though you paid 4x back in the day, the value far exceeds that price now? Again, i suppose the term " undervalued " may apply to regional issues of mantle.

Lou, i'll have to see what I can do. I'd have to have my son help me load up some image of it. Yeah, I'm a real "brontosaurus". My '54 Stahl-Meyer Mantle gem is in my book, and it came out beautifully with the accouterments I chose for its portrait.

For most of the chapters, I don't own anything great to speak of, but for this one, I do. Graded SGC50 VG-EX. It was never imprisoned between the two rows of wet, greasy but delicious Stahl-Meyer frankfurters. Color is off the charts. Centering is dead 50-50 both ways. Its only flaw, and I mean only, is a half-inch back crease that starts on a side edge of the card and goes in, missing Mickey but reducing the grade from Mint to technical VG-EX. A technical knock-out for the grade; nevertheless, the card is simply breathtaking.

Are there some Mantle cards that are a little too obscure? Someone mentioned Transogram. (NOTE-----The Transogram is appreciated by quite a number of Mickey Mantle enthusiasts; recently I saw a PSA 9 on eBay. The seller's price escapes me, but it was colossal.) Is there a market for them or the 68 Topps game cards? Both sets have star power, are they undervalued or just no interest from collectors?
Some of the Topps test issues were either never issued or sold in a Brooklyn candy store for test purposes. Some of them are gorgeous; some are very obscure, and ugly to boot. I would even urge our resident Mickey Mantle master completionist not to lose any sleep over them. Be that as it may, whatever he chooses, he's my pal and I'm behind him.

Besides, these obscure Topps test issues are indeed Topps products, and have bus-loads of feverish fans, as well they should be.

'Nuf said. Regards, Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-30-2015 at 10:31 AM.