View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Default As things evolve....your current focus on collecting pre-war?

Posted By: Andy Baran

I started out collecting Rookie Cards in the 1980's of guys like Mattingly and Boggs. Later I discovered that there were "older" cards, so I collected 40's, 50's, and 60's Rookie cards of guys like Mantle and Mays. Then I discovered that there were "really old" cards, so I sold my collection, and bought some of the rarest Rookie cards in existance. At one time I had E107's of Mathewson, Wagner, Plank, Waddell, Chesbro, Bender, Joss, Lajoie (Type 1 & 2), McGinnity, & Willis. (Holy $#!T, I didn't even realize that I had over 10 E107 HOFers until this post!) I also had 2 Peck & Snyders, N167 Ewing, Just So Tobacco Burkett, E90-1 Jackson, M101-5 Ruth, E135 Hornsby, etc. I had a nice Cuban/Puerto Rican card collection as well, with multiple cards of Charleston, Lloyd, Smith, Day, etc. Eventually I realized that my collection was too valuable to keep, so I sold it off privately piece by piece. I have since started collecting Boxing Cards. The focus of my collection is "Real Photo" cards of the 4 Heavyweight Champions of the 1890's: John L. Sullivan, Jim Corbett, Bob Fitzsimmons, and Jim Jeffries.