View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I understand it in theory: getting the price up quickly to discourage people from bothering to bid. Also, perhaps to put a max bid in first at the price the card is worth I suppose. For me, I put in placeholders just so I don't forget. I don't even go back to REA until the auction is well into extended bidding. If the cards I'm after are still within a range I'm willing to pay, I bid; if not, I don't.
There are several reasons I will “tangle” day 1 - First, as Jeff suggested, if it’s something I really want, I put in a large max bid so that 50% of the bids getting there are mine, thus potentially limiting the number of competitors in extended bidding. Second, sometimes I want a certain spot, or want the last bid before a bid-increment cliff (like when bids go from $500 to $1000), so I put in my max bid to ensure I get that spot if it gets there. That said, I only do this with cards I really really want, otherwise I may have too many large bids on too many large items (large being a relative term)