View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
I think Al is on the right track. I have a modicum of 58s but don't think they are especially appealing (except for Henry's October pickup -- a stunner. 60's, I dunno, you rarely see scans of them on the board here. Hence, I really have no idea. have

Al, nice Mantle. Mine has rounded corners too. (No scan available)
I think the key dividing line is 1955 to 1956. A lot can be said for the competition between Bowman and Topps. Topps was always responding and trying to up their game, and each set from 1952 through 1955 is different and has it's high level of appeal.

Some will surely disagree, but I think the wheels start to fall off in 1956. Bowman was knocked out and Topps had a monopoly. They lost the incentive to top themselves, because what else where the kids gonna buy?

The 56 set is for me a carbon copy of the 55. Same portraits, different background. It's still a very appealing set, no doubt, and one I'd like to start soon, but I do think it was a bad sign that the 56 would mirror the 55 so much...heck, my Dad even has trouble telling them apart sometimes, unless he has one of each side by side.

The 57 set is certainly a different approach, and gets points because it is the first truly modern set, in the modern size. I personally dislike that they shrunk the size, after so many years of proudly touting their "Giant Size" cards. And for no reason other than they could cram more cards onto a sheet.

After 57, each set is diminishing returns, in my opinion. The number of cards in a set grows, and the artistry goes downhill. My dad's collection stops at 1963 when he quit collecting, and I've no desire to extend it any further.

Looking back, I think the worst thing that could've happened to Topps was beating their rival Bowman. They really needed each other, to keep up that competitive drive, and the need to ensure ever higher quality to earn the nickels and dimes of kids all over the country.