View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Default SGC grading to harsh

Posted By: anonymousdave

from the sgc web-site on the grading standards page:

"40 VG 3: 90/10 or better centering, corners more rounded--but not excessive, stronger creasing may exist. Poorer focus, registration, and discoloration, and staining are more noticeable."

nowhere does it state that a card in this grade can have only one of the mentioned flaws..at least that is my interpretation.... but it seems this has become the rule. Does "stronger creasing" mot mean the possibility of multiple wrinkles or creases?

"30 GOOD 2: Centered 90/10 or better. This card usually exhibits one or more of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tear, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss."

now a 30 can have a "heavy crease(s)" and a pinhole and it still isn't a 20?..."one or more" is not very definitive.

20 FAIR 1.5: Centered 90/10 or better. This card usually exhibits several of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tears, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss, a small portion of the card may be missing.

..and if small a portion of my card is missing and it has a tear, a heavy crease and a pinhole..it won't be a 10?

am I reading the criteria wrong? Shouldn't 2 wrinkles or a light crease and a wrinkle on a card qualify as stronger creasing...or is the length and location of any wrinkle or non-surface breaking crease the determining factor on it's "strength"?

Not to bitch and moan about it..but it seems to me that the standards for 40/VG (and even 30/Good) have become more strict over the past few years...perhaps more than the written criteria.