View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Sam Lemoine

I watched the NBA Finals. I watched a lot of basketball this season, and much of the playoffs. I live near Charlotte, so I pull for the Hornets and the Warriors (since Curry is from here, and is the son of Hornets star Dell Curry). Yes, I know that every year my Hornets have a slightly above zero chance of winning it all. But, this "Superteam" concept is nothing new. There are only five guys on the floor, so if you have three all-stars, you have a really good shot at winning.

The Boston Celtics of the 60's had several teams with EIGHT Hall of Famers. They had a starting five of all Hall of Famers, then had three more coming off of the bench. If you look at most of the NBA Champions of the past, there are multiple HOFers on the team. And as far as not every team having a chance, well, the 80's (the glory days according to many) had only five teams that made it to the Finals for the entire decade (Lakers, Celtics, 76ers, Rockets, and Pistons). In the 90's, two teams won eight of the ten titles (Bulls and Rockets). Having great teams dominate the league is nothing new.

But, if you have the attitude that certain teams can never win, just remember the Warriors. For most of about a 30 year stretch before Curry, they were one of the most awful teams in the league. They had a six year stretch where their #1 draft picks were Mickael Pietrus, Andrus Biedrins, Ike Diogu, Patrick O'Bryant, Marco Belinelli, and Anthony Randolph. So, they stunk. When they stopped drafting stiffs and managed to grab Curry, Thompson, Green, and Barnes (all guys that were not picked early in the draft), they suddenly became great. If my Hornets stop picking the Adam Morrisons, Malachi Richardsons, and Noah Vonlehs and start finding the gems, it can be done. But it isn't easy. Ask the 76ers.